8 UNUSUAL THINGS INSURED
Insurance is nearly universal, it’s everywhere. After all you can insure nearly anything you like if you have the liquidity and will.
Now getting your business insured is probably fairly straight-forward, but what if you did something a little different? Maybe you spend your time building tanks (our customers Armoured Engineering enjoy doing this), you launch satellites or are you an internationally recognised singer?
We’ve been curious as to what some of the strangest, most expensive and weird things that can be insured have been insured are. So, here’s a list of some of those most notable insurances.
- The famous Australian cricketer Merv Huges insured his mustache for an eye watering $370,000 whilst he was playing on Australia’s national cricket team from 1985 to 1994.
- Over time, more than $10 million dollars has been written against the eventuality of alien abduction, there’s even higher payouts available for people who are abducted frequently. If you can prove it that is.
- The first satellite to be insured was Intelsat 1 in 1965. This space ground breaker was insured for physical damage.
- We all know the story of the Titanic and its untimely end. But did you know that Lloyds of London had to pay out $10,000,000 plus other claims in just 30 days from the accident?
- Kiss lead singer Gene Simmons insured his infamous tongue in the 70’s. An integral part of Gene and Kiss’s brand, it was insured for $1,000,000.
- Dr. Peter Brass divined that 150 people a year died from being hit on the head by falling coconuts in the 1980’s. As a result a travel company took out a policy against “injury by falling coconut”. Shortly afterwards one of their customers was hit on the head by a falling coconut and made a successful claim.
- Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, the ITV game show originally hosted by Chris Tarrant is insured against the possibility of a contestant winning.
- Finally, the comedian Ken Dodd has his instantly recognisable teeth insured for over £4,000,000 in the 70’s, bet his insurer was tickled.